Tuesday, July 21, 2009

My Little Garden

When I was little, my mom used to grow lots of vegetables in our yard. I remember going out back and picking corn, carrots, tomatoes, watermelon, squash, strawberries... I think you get the picture. The lush garden lasted for the early years of my childhood. But then, the trees grew and covered the area in shade, and the deer moved in. Between the lack of sunlight and the constant grazing of deer families, growing vegetables in the ground became a thing of the past.



When I returned home from college in late June, I decided I wanted to have my own garden. My mom and I thought it out and determined that we could buy planters and grow a couple small things on the brick patio. Our backyard is terraced and the deer stay up top or near the deck; they have yet to find the patio! Because I was getting a late start, a bought seedlings of zucchini, tomatoes, spinach, lettuce, parsley, basil, and seeds of carrots and beets. Well the zucchini has taken off like wildfire (although it's not ready to pick yet), and the carrots and beets have sprouted beautifully. But the best part thus far is the fact that I was able to make a salad last night with my spinach and my first tomato!



Though it was just a simple salad, the fact that the produce came from my garden made it that much better!
And the culprit escapes!

No comments:

Post a Comment