Thursday, July 9, 2009

Fresh from British Columbia

I am sitting here waiting to go to a Giant's game (though I am an A's fan) and realized this is a perfect time to write a post. Plus it's been a little while since the last one and I am way overdue. But who can blame me? The California summer is so nice, it's hard for me to sit down at a computer and write when I should be outside hiking, running, swimming, or causing whatever mayhem is appropriate for the moment. I have been cooking a lot and baking a ton. Moving back into my parent's house for the summer means I become the "second mom" (that's how my mom puts it anyway). My mom works long hours so I become responsible for most dinners; not that I mind. The only problem is my family is full of fussy eaters. If you have ever seen the sketch by George Carlin about 'fussy eaters' apply that to my family x five and welcome to my household.

We usually don't eat fish in my house unless my mom and I decide we want to cook for ourselves but last night was a rare treat. My mom is away in Atlanta on business so dinner was just my dad, my sister, and me. I figured it was going to be another hamburger night until.... my dad brought home fresh fish! What is this madness? Sorry, I guess that only makes sense if you know my dad, but he's usually not a fan of fish. However, one of my dad's students (my dad's a flight instructor) went up to British Columbia on a fishing trip and caught some halibut (just for the 'hal-ib-ut') and salmon and decided to give some to my dad. We no complaints there. I greatly appreciated the fish, at least the halibut which we ate last night. I'll post something for the salmon in a few days if I remember because it will be tomorrow night's dinner.

But the halibut was so good. Not fishy just mild and subtle flavor and flaky and moist and scrumptious! And my dad and my sister both really enjoyed it! That's when you know it's a good fish.

Grilled Halibut with Salsa Verde and Nu Potatoes

Halibut
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons dry white wine
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon rosemary
16oz fresh wild halibut
sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.

Combine the first 4 ingrediants and mix. Add halibut and let it marinate for an hour, turning it over once. Just before grilling add sea salt and pepper to taste. Grill 4-5 minutes per side until flesh in opaque and flakey.

Salsa Verde
1/2 bunch Italian parsley finely chopped
1 tablespoon red onion finely chopped
handful fresh basil finely chopped
1 teaspoon fresh oregeno finely chopped
1/2 tablespoon capers
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingrediants in a bowl. Simple as that. And spoon over prepared fish.

Nu potatoes

5 potatoes
tablespoon olive oil
tablespoon rosemary finely chopped
1/2 tablespoon white wine
sea salt and pepper to taste

Par boil potatoes until just about done. Let cool and then quarter. Mix olive oil, wine, rosemary, salt and pepper. Pour over potatoes and let marinade for 30 minutes. Finish on grill until there is a little char and the potato flesh is golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment